The days are getting shorter and colder, and it’s the perfect season for snuggling on the couch with a warm cup of cocoa. Sometimes cocoa needs a little extra something, something. There are lots of potential directions, salted caramel, hazelnut, Bailey’s, raspberry liqueur…or in this case a kick of minty fresh peppermint schnapps. If you love Peppermint Bark or Peppermint Patties, you’re going to love this cocktail! Best of all, you can make this with our without alcohol, so everyone can enjoy it.
Make the hot cocoa on the stove with whole milk, it makes a huge difference in the taste. If you really want to get fancy, make your own whipped cream. You can pipe it into the cocoa with a frosting bag or, if you prefer, buy ready made whipped cream and save a few steps. We won’t tell.
Ingredients (The links below are affiliate based. If you click on a link and make a purchase we get a small percentage of the sale. That’s how we keep our cocoa supplies stocked.)
- 6 oz. Milk
- 2 tsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1-2 oz. Peppermint Schnapps or 1 tsp. Peppermint Extract
- Whipped Cream
- Candy Canes or Peppermint Crunch
- Heat milk on medium high adding two teaspoons of cocoa per 6 ounces. Whisk the cocoa into the milk, it will take a little effort. Once the milk and cocoa are functioning as one, turn the heat to low and let it heat for a few more minutes, stirring frequently.
- If you opt for Peppermint Crunch, you can skip this step. Place candy canes on a plate, cover with wax or parchment paper and crush with a mallet or the bottom of your coffee cup into shards.
- Pour milk into cup, add 1-2 shots of Peppermint Schnapps. (If you want a non-alcoholic version use a few drops of Peppermint Extract.)
- Add a generous dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle crushed peppermint on top.
- Optional: Garnish with a candy cane dipped in melted chocolate if you're feeling extra festive. It's the perfect stir stick and adds a little more chocolate and mint to the mix.
Put a little jingle in your bells!
If you make our Peppermint Bark Cocktail, we’d love to see pictures! You can share them on our Facebook page! And come back soon, we’ve got lots more tasty and crafty inspiration for the holidays.
May we suggest (These are affiliate links, if you click on a link and make a purchase we get a small percentage of the sale.):